About this event:
National Organic Training Skillnet has teamed up with the Irish Seed Savers Association to provide reduced-cost ticket prices to “The Living Seed – Ireland’s Seed Gathering”.
The day-by-day breakdown of speakers and presentations has just been confirmed – see below for details.
This unique agro-ecological event will take place on Saturday and Sunday, October 12th and 13th in Cloughjordan Eco-Village, Co Tipperary.
We are offering a range of terrific value ticket packages including a Full Board ticket for just €140 which gives you access to both days of the Conference, a night’s accommodation in Django’s Hostel, all meals, and a return bus trip to Irish Seed Savers HQ in County Clare.
- Results from Seed Survey for Growers In Ireland: 240 commercial & domestic growers across the regions have created a picture of contemporary use and attitudes to seed and seed production in Ireland today. This will be the debut of a report drawing keen international interest.
- EU review and update: Presented by senior advisor to EU parliament Hannes Lorenzen, including significant changes presenting opportunities for small scale seed production.
- Irish Seed Savers Assoc., (ISSA) and Seed Sovereignty: From foundation by Anita and Tommy Hayes in 1991 to today’s 650 variety strong heritage seed bank, national orchard collection, a Seed Guardian Network, and the UK & Ireland Seed Sovereignty Programme with The Gaia Foundation
- Grain Diversity: With renewed interest greatly advanced by artisan bakers and microbreweries, we are witnessing a revival of interest in reduced-input, sustainable heritage grain production and use. Colin Gordon presents his diverse approaches to both grain populations, and workload.
- Community Farm Tour: Cloughjordan Farm serves its community year-round with fresh produce. Kevin Dudley draws on extensive seed saving experience from ISSA, New Zealand and the US for a farm tour including the practicalities and demonstrations of on-farm seed saving.
- Irish Seeds: Production, Challenges – and availability! A panel discussion featuring producers – ISSA, Brown Envelope Seeds, The Herb Garden, True Harvest Seeds and Eco Seeds
- Discussion Groups: Includes breeding, regional seed hubs, organics & derogations, living conservation, grain, & international relationships
- + Seed Films
- Seed Swap: Brilliant opportunity for Ireland’s seed enthusiasts to exchange this year’s Harvest & other chosen favorites
- Grow This!: The weekend’s speakers each give the background of their recommended varieties
- Wildflower Production and Native Flora Conservation: Managing wildflower projects throughout Ireland with local provenance seeds and plants, Eco Seeds is a not for profit organisation based in Co Down. True Harvest Seed shares their experience of native flora conservation and production with rare insight into contemporary seed production in Northern Ireland.
- (Optional extra) Guided Tour of Irish Seed Savers ‘Living Seed’ conservation and production facilities in Scarriff, Co Clare. Including a free return bus from Cloughjordan.
- Standard 2-Day Weekend Ticket (includes meals) – €90
- Tour Package (Standard Ticket + ISSA Bus Tour on Sunday, Oct 13th) – €115
- Accommodation Package (Standard + 1-night Hostel Accommodation on Saturday, Oct 12th) – €115
- All-Inclusive / Full Board Package (Ticket + Bus Tour + Accommodation) – €140